Experiencing a Chicago pastime...
Last week, Anthony and I spent the day downtown at the Taste of Chicago! Neither of us had ever been before and we wanted to make sure we did this before moving. The Taste is a big deal in this city; roads are blocked off, buses re-routed, and millions of people come from all over to experience the Taste. Basically, for 10 straight days, this is a haven for people love being outside and eating good food. Restaurants and vendors from all over Chicago set up a booth and have different items from their menu for people to eat. This is definitely not cheap entertainment but its fun! There is also free live music each day and we got to see John Mayer the day we went. We went with some friends and it was so relaxing to just sit and chat while John Mayer was performing in the background. There is a big variety of food and some pretty crazy items (turtle soup, goat, etc.), but we stuck with the pretty normal sounding things. We actually went back the next day to try a few things we didn't try on the first day and re-try things we loved.
The Taste of Chicago is the largest festival of its kind in the world.
Us at one of the main entrances
Last week, Anthony and I spent the day downtown at the Taste of Chicago! Neither of us had ever been before and we wanted to make sure we did this before moving. The Taste is a big deal in this city; roads are blocked off, buses re-routed, and millions of people come from all over to experience the Taste. Basically, for 10 straight days, this is a haven for people love being outside and eating good food. Restaurants and vendors from all over Chicago set up a booth and have different items from their menu for people to eat. This is definitely not cheap entertainment but its fun! There is also free live music each day and we got to see John Mayer the day we went. We went with some friends and it was so relaxing to just sit and chat while John Mayer was performing in the background. There is a big variety of food and some pretty crazy items (turtle soup, goat, etc.), but we stuck with the pretty normal sounding things. We actually went back the next day to try a few things we didn't try on the first day and re-try things we loved.
The Taste of Chicago is the largest festival of its kind in the world.
Us at one of the main entrances
Us with friends Brandon & Amanda in front of Buckingham Fountain...we had perfect weather!!
I just think Anthony looks adorable in this picture. We split this turkey leg and both regretted eating it after the fact. It was fun to try once in my life but never again.
One of the BEST items we tried was fried dough...basically a warm doughnut-like item covered in powdered sugar. Similar to a funnel cake but not as greasy. We devoured it!
Some other food items we tried: corn on the cob (twice), fried okra, Italian ice, Eli's oreo cheesecake, prime rib quesadilla (twice), pot stickers (twice), Southwestern chicken tart, chicken wing with pesto sauce, mustard fried catfish, and a few other things I don't remember. We very rarely eat fried food so having lots of it in a short period of time was not good for my run the next morning. Oh well, you live only once, right?
Baseball...
On Sunday, we went to the White Sox game and had a great time. It was actually the hottest day of the summer so far (mid-90s) but our seats were in the shade so we didn't get too hot. I was hoping to get a little sun but oh well. It was a fun day and the Sox won, and cheers to Chicago for having some Texas weather!!
We almost always sit in the Upper deck...this is the view from the top of the stadium.
Baseball...
On Sunday, we went to the White Sox game and had a great time. It was actually the hottest day of the summer so far (mid-90s) but our seats were in the shade so we didn't get too hot. I was hoping to get a little sun but oh well. It was a fun day and the Sox won, and cheers to Chicago for having some Texas weather!!
Other news...
We are staying quite busy. Anthony is studying very hard for the BAR exam, and I've been trying to clean out closets and start packing. Its amazing how much stuff we've accumulated over the last 3 years. Moving is good because it forces you to go through your stuff and get rid of things you don't need. Since we've lived in the same apartment for 3 years, we haven't done this and I have found several surprises I forgot we had. That is a definite sign that we have too much stuff.
Last night, we tried a new flavor from Ben & Jerry's called Americone Dream, and it was delicious--vanilla ice cream with fudge-covered waffle cone pieces and a caramel swirl. I highly recommend it for you ice cream lovers. I just read on the website that some of the proceeds are going to benefit a non-profit endeavor for children, veterans and the environment, so you don't have to feel guilty for buying/eating it!!
Last night, we tried a new flavor from Ben & Jerry's called Americone Dream, and it was delicious--vanilla ice cream with fudge-covered waffle cone pieces and a caramel swirl. I highly recommend it for you ice cream lovers. I just read on the website that some of the proceeds are going to benefit a non-profit endeavor for children, veterans and the environment, so you don't have to feel guilty for buying/eating it!!
6 comments:
I just love vacationing in Chicago through you and Anthony! You two have so much fun! It is so great that you both take advantage of living in a neat city.
Can I just say, "Yum-o!"
Funny about the turkey leg, but seems like you experienced some good eats. Have fun packing up and throwing away--in some ways this move has shown me that I've liked purging all the stuff I don't need anymore. Happy packing!
Oh, and WHAT A VIEW from the stadium! Love you!
You forgot the "crab cake nuggets." That was probably the most forgettable item we tried at the Taste though.
I liked the upper deck comment--those lower level tickets are just too expensive!
What a fun day! There's nothing better than a day of eating. Y'all will have to do the state fair when you get back here. I, like Chesley, also enjoy vacationing through y'alls time in Chicago. It seems like alot of fun-in the warmer months! Good luck with all the packing.
I agree! I love the vacationing in Chicago through you too! The Taste of China sounds like so much fun.
You have made me want to go to Chicago. Sounds like you guys are having a fun last few weeks! :)
Cherish the time he is not working...the real world will come soon for him. :)
Have a great week!
Good luck to Anthony on the bar. I know it's hard to have him studying all the time now, but it will be so worth it pretty soon. Danny still mentions sometimes that it feels weird that he has so much free time and doesn't have to worry about studying for school or the bar. :) Good luck with your move to Texas!
Post a Comment