Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Feeling a bit sentimental

Well, the movers come TOMORROW, so I've really been cleaning out drawers/closets/rooms for the last several days, and I'm feeling a bit sentimental to be packing up or throwing away everything. Since Anthony is in TX taking the BAR exam this week (say a prayer for him if you think about it), I've been alone in the apartment, which is bad for the whole sad factor. Anyway, the other night I was cleaning out a drawer in our kitchen and I was overcome with emotion. Anthony called at the right moment so I was able to talk to him about it. Back to this particular drawer...this is where we keep tickets and/or info. about upcoming events, gift cards, spare keys, the checkbook, Lettuce Entertain You gift certificates (we get points for dining at certain restaurants, then they send you gift certificates for their restaurants and since we love trying new restaurants we accumulate LOTS of points therefore, get lots of $25 gift certificates...this is only in Chicago so we have $100 worth to use before we move), the address book, cute little sticky note pads that my mother-in-law buys us, and our take-out menus. When I came across our stack of menus, I lost it and could not bring myself to throw them away. We don't order take out very often, but over the 3 years we've definitely found some places that we love and are great to order from when we don't feel like cooking, its 7 degrees and we don't want to leave the apartment. I am trying to think of something creative to do with all of these menus so I don't have to throw them away...any ideas??

For those of you who have stayed with us, you probably noticed the "sign" that hung in our kitchen during your visit. This note has hung in the same place for almost the entire time we've lived in this apartment (3 years), and it kills me to think I have to take it down. In October of 2004, I was cooking dinner and realized that I didn't have one ingredient the recipe called for, so I ran down the little market in the basement of our building to buy whatever it was I needed and when I came back Anthony had hung this note in the kitchen just above the stove so I'd see it when I got back to cooking. It has been there ever since, and I've only had to re-tape it once. Since it is located right above the stove, it is covered in oil, grease, steam, etc. from all the cooking but the words never smeared or faded. I know I won't be able to bring myself to throw this away, however, I have no idea what to do with it since it is rather gross to touch!
I was hoping the close-up would show the grease but it didn't seem to work. Oh well! I was also very impressed with Anthony's heart...he actually draws better hearts than I do!!
Right now it is hard to pack up our things and say goodbye to our life in Chicago, but soon we will have a new home where we'll make new memories. I'm excited to see what the future holds for us and ready to make this move.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I know how that feels. I will be praying that everything goes smoothly. I know you will cherish those times in Chicago. Goodluck with the move!