Yesterday was a big day for us...our furniture was delivered!! It was so fun to see the furniture we custom picked out and to actually have real, big people furniture is a new thing for us. Since we've been married, we've been using stuff we had from college (or earlier), hand-me-down stuff from our parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles/etc. or stuff we put together ourselves--its been great to us for the last 4 years+, but its time to replace most of it and pass our used things on to someone else. Our living/kitchen area is almost complete--still waiting on our coffee table and tv. Once we have everything mounted to the walls, I will post some pictures. This is the first time since we've been married that both Anthony and I can relax on the SAME sofa comfortably!! For those of you who experienced our old couch, you know how uncomfortable it was...no worries, now we have a comfortable place for you to sit when you come over!
As fun and exciting as it was to have our furniture delivered yesterday, I've been thinking a lot lately about what truly is important in life...and I realize its not whether or not you have new furniture that all coordinates or if you live with a plastic crate as your tv stand that matters. What matters in life, in my opinion, is simple. Its not things but people that matter. What we do for other people and how we treat them is important; showing them Jesus' love in everything we do, matters.
I have always loved going on mission trips and visiting other countries where life is very different than the US. I'm so thankful to have parents who always encouraged me to go on these trips, and I've been blessed by the experiences I've had on these trips--Honduras, Mexico, Trinidad, and since visiting here, have always had a special place in my heart for these places and would like to do more.
Our church supports a lot of great ministries...one in particular, Predisan, an organization that focuses on improving the lives of Hondurans. To these people, clean water matters. We all know that you need water to survive, and when we get sick we call our doctor and get medicine to help us feel better. These people in Honduras don't always have clean water to drink, which means they need medical attention...however, they don't have the ability to call a doctor and get the kind of treatment we get here. So, they are forced to live feeling bad and uncomfortable. Predisan is focused on bringing medical care and clean water to people who live in these Honduran villages. Like anything in life, nothing is free, so they also have to raise money to deliver these things that matter. For those of you who live in the DFW area, come join us tomorrow morning at the Katy Trail and walk for these Honduran people. For more information about Predisan go to http://predisan.org/. I'm excited about participating in this walk and I hope we have a good turn out--the more people who participate, the more clean water these people will have.
Helping better the lives of these Hondurans matters, and even though I'm only one walker, all of us together will get to help people less fortunate than us. I take having clean water for granted; every day I take a shower and expect the water that comes out of the faucet to be clear. I can wash my hands anytime I want, and when I'm thirsty I can fill my cup with water and satisfy my need. When I try to imagine my life without water, its almost impossible for me to do, but this is reality for millions of people around the world. I need to do my part; helping people less fortunate than me, matters.
No comments:
Post a Comment