Thursday, May 31, 2007

an elevator ride to remember!!

So, yesterday after work, I went for a run. As I was walking back into my building I noticed a black SUV pull up and several men in black suits got out and walked inside. I stopped at the concierge's desk to pick up my keys and he says, "Did you see Barak Obama?" I thought it might be him because I noticed one of the men was African-American and the others looked like secret service. I walked down the hall to the elevators and there he was with 2 secret service guys, waiting to get on the elevator too. When the elevator door opened, I wasn't sure if I should wait for the next one or get on with them (keep in mind I was very sweaty and gross since I had just run 3 1/2 miles in 80 degree weather), but one of the secret service guys waved to me to get on...so I did. Mr. Obama was on his cell phone (I wanted to ask what provider he has since his phone worked in an elevator), so I quickly apologized to the secret service guy for being so gross!! He smiled and politely responded by saying, "Its okay!" Mr. Obama did get off his cell phone about half way up but I didn't say anything to him. They got off at the 16th floor...I have no idea why he would be visiting someone in our building, but it mush have been to seer a big-time donor or something. He does live in our neighborhood and we've always been on the lookout for him, but I never imagined I'd ride in the same elevator as him in Regents Park!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely awesome! You always have interesting stories about seeing people, but it's usually more like totally crazy people on the bus or the train, not our future President (maybe!). I wish I would have been there--you should have asked when he's coming back to teach Con Law at U of C! He's still listed on the faculty actually. Just on a very long leave of absence!

Anonymous said...

But after three years, you really should know how to spell Barack!

Kellee said...

oops...typo! I know its Barack. Yeah, its about time I have a story with a famous person in it instead of a random crazy person! I actually thought about telling him you were a U of C law student, but I sort of froze!

Kristen said...

That is so fun and random! I would love to go to Chicago sometime.
You make it sound so fun! :)

Kim said...

Cool story. Who would have thought you'd see him on the elevator? How fun and makes for an exciting blog entry. Love you!

Unknown said...

Too cool!! I love that you apologized to the guard and that you were sweaty and stinky. Just goes to show that even celebrities like Obama get to see "real" Americans! I just wished you would have said something to him--although I definitely would not have known what to say. Perhaps you could have said, "Hey, do you know my dad?!!" Ha!