Monday, August 20, 2007

the rest of SAN FRAN

Saturday night we met the Brock's for sushi at HIME and it was wonderful!! We had been told that sushi in SF was the best and it is definitely true...fresh and delicious! We loved our waiter and he was actually from Oklahoma so he was giving Jordan & Kelci some sushi suggestions in OK city. On Sunday morning, I ran in a 5K race. Anthony came out to support me! It was a fun race and we ran right along the bay, so it was an incredible view. We also ran by AT&T park (where the Giants play) and got to run around the bases, which was fun. I got my results and I finished 220th out of 2000 runners, so I did pretty well. I think there was only 1 other person from Texas!
After the race, we had breakfast, went back to the hotel for about an hour then headed back to AT&T park for the Giants game. What a view we had from our seats!! It was such a beautiful day (well, everyday was beautiful) and we enjoyed sitting in the sun and looking out at the water. Barry Bonds did play but he had already broken the record. He actually broke the record the night we arrived in San Fran, so it was fun to be in the city for that. However, I am not a fan of Barry Bonds and don't feel the record was truly legit but that is a whole other blog post.

There were quite a few boats and people in kayaks waiting to catch a home run ball.
The view from our seats...
After the game, we headed over to Pier 39 to get on the ferry that would take us to ALCATRAZ. This was a very interesting experience but I'm glad we did it. I sure don't ever want to go to prison!! The place is old and falling apart, but it was still a weird feeling to know people once lived on this island and it was a prison. I had no idea that most of the guards and their families also lived on the island. Talk about creepy if you're a little kid.
Here are some of the cells...there were just rows and rows of them. It was very creepy walking through the prison knowing people used to live in these actual cells.
This is one of the individual cells...there were some that were so nasty and gross; they were tiny!

We had such a wonderful time in SF and can't wait to go back! We could both live here for sure. If you get the chance to take a vacation, I highly recommend vacationing here.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Yeah, I thought Alcatraz was a weird place too. Can you imagine living there? I am glad you hada great time and liked the city and had fun at the gmae! Thanks for the postcard. Barrett was so excited and has it hanging in his room!

Anita said...

How fun you got to run a race while you were there!

Unknown said...

You're just like Dad....running races in all these cities you visit! That's neat. What a wonderful, memorable trip you all had. You got to see and do so much. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Kristen said...

I am so impressed that you ran in a race. Looks like a fun vacation!!! We will have to visit SF! :)