Monday, April 12, 2010

Masters Sunday


It wasn't until I started dating Anthony that golf became a part of my life. I grew up in a family where sports of all kinds (football, basketball, track, baseball, cheerleading) were played and watched, but golf wasn't one of them. Anthony grew up playing golf with his dad and grandfather, and watching golf tournaments was something they always did together. Over the years, I have grown to really enjoy the sport. I've yet to swing a club, but I do enjoy going out to the tournaments and even watching on tv every now and then. For those of you who don't know, yesterday was Masters Sunday. In the golf world, this is probably the biggest day of the whole season. All the talk leading up to the tournament was about Tiger Woods and his return to the game after being out for 145 days. My thoughts on Tiger and that whole scandle is for another post, but let me just say that I was so annoyed at how much the media was talking about him and all he's been through, etc. to get back to this point--playing in the Masters.

Well, yesterday was a great day...Tiger didn't win the green jacket! Instead, it went to Phil Mickelson who is completely opposite of Tiger. Phil is nice to the media, signs autographs for his fans and is a gentleman on the course (not the golf club-throwing, cussing type). Phil's family is always out there cheering him on, and you can tell that he really is a family man and he loves and cares about his wife. Around this time last year, Phil's wife, Amy, was diagnosed with breast cancer. She is doing okay but has had a very hard time with the treatment and hasn't been able to go to the tournaments. Yesterday, she was there cheering on her man! It was so emotional watching them hug for so long on camera right after he won--they were both crying (and so was I) and later he explained that this win means so much after all they have been through over the last year. It was good to see the good guy come out on top this time. You can read more on this story here http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/Phil-Mickelson-wife-Amy-give-us-one-of-Augusta-?urn=golf,233446
And maybe Tiger will take some lessons on how to be a man from Phil :)

1 comment:

Kim said...

We spent the day with the Masters on too. I totally agree with you about and am so glad that Phil won!