Thursday, June 28, 2007

has it really been that long??

June 28 is a bittersweet day:

bitter-
13 years ago today my sister's best friend, Allyson, was killed in a car accident. I remember that day so vividly...Kim was at work and my mom and I were getting ready to leave the house when we got a phone call saying that Aly was in the hospital and it was serious. We left the house immediately, picked my sister up from work, they dropped me off at a friend's house and went on to the hospital. I remember seeing my sister for the first time after Aly died and just running to her and hugging her for so long. I couldn't imagine what Kim was going through...her and Aly were inseparable, and Aly was like another big sister to me. Every year when this day comes around, I always think back to that awful day; it blows my mind that 13 years have gone by. Kevin, Aly's youngest brother, is now one of mine and Anthony's best friends, and the Beckering family will always be special to us. My niece, Brooklyn Allyson, is named after that beautiful blonde girl who will always hold a special place in my sister's heart. I know when as Brooklyn gets older, Kim will tell her about Aly and what an honor it is to be named after her.

sweet-
9 years ago today Anthony asked me to be his girlfriend and we've been together ever since. We were in Red River, New Mexico, for a family encampment, and when we reached the top of the mountains (the whole group rode Jeeps to the top), as I was looking out at the beautiful scenery, Anthony asked me out! We had the whole church group watching...hilarious! Now that we have a wedding anniversary, we no longer celebrate this one but its still fun to think back to that day. Its amazing to look back over the last 9 years and see how much we've changed and grown. We are hardly that same boy and girl who we fell in love with so many years ago, and I'm so thankful to have shared so much of my life with one person. I wish I had some pictures to post of us from "back in the day", but that was long before the day of digital cameras, and I can't seem to get our scanner to work!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I still remember where I was, too, when Mom called me to tell me Ally was in the hospital. Daniel, Nathan, and Heather Wiese came to the CPA firm I was working at and picked me up and we all drove down there together. It sure was awful. It's hard to believe that 13 years have gone by. Now that I work at Baylor I think of Ally often and wonder what kind of student she was when she went to school there.

And 9 years ago was Red River? That also means that 9 years ago last week we all went to Mexico and you and Anthony started to "hook up." Remember how Ryan Wendt kept calling everyone and everything a "tool?!!" Hilarious!

Kellee said...

I just realized I spelled Ally wrong throughout my whole post. I'm sure its a day none of us will forget the vivid details.

Yes, I do remember Ryan using the word "tool" way too much! Such fun memories. Was that the trip Janey Moreland was on? And yes, Anthony was flirting with me constantly on that trip, so I finally gave into the temptation the next week in Red River. Ha!

Kim said...

Such a sweet post. How I can I forget that day 13 years ago? I think about Ally's life and death so often still. Ally was such a wonderful person and friend to us all. I think it is so great that you and Anthony and Kevin are great friends today. What a special family they are to us all.
What a cool memory you and Anthony have of when ya'll first got together. We sure are glad you met him and that you are still together today.