I am the youngest sibling of 4, and lately I’ve been thinking about how much I love being the youngest. Growing up as the youngest in a family with 5 other people, I often had to try pretty hard to get some attention since there was always lots of commotion and so many things going on at once. Growing up in a big family I always had plenty of people to play with, but as the youngest, I was usually the “child or student” anytime we played house or school. I never seemed to mind or really know any different, it was just the way it was! My siblings were actually great to me growing up and usually treated me no different because I was younger…except when they made up a VERY elaborate story about finding me on the front porch in a basket. They told me I was from Mexico and that the family adopted me since they had no way of giving me back. My real name was Isabel Chavez…I believed the whole thing and for the longest time didn’t ask my parents about it in fear that it might be true (my brother is still so proud and loves to take the credit for it!). Anyway, I have been very blessed with great siblings, and I'm thankful we are closer than we've ever been.
Poe family--early 1982 I think

Since I was the only non-blonde headed child and had darker skin, I can see why I would believe I was adopted. No one ever told me I looked just like my Mom did when she was little!

all grown up!
I have always looked up to my 2 sisters and brother (and still do); my eyes were always on them—I wanted to do what they were doing and learn as much as I could from them. They took the time to show and teach me all sorts of things—I wanted to be a cheerleader like my oldest sister Kim; play basketball like Kara; be easy-going like Kurt. What a huge responsibility older siblings are given and its not even a choice; as soon as that 2nd child in your family is born it is automatically give to you whether you want it or not. I didn’t realize what a huge responsibility this was until I married Anthony. He is the oldest and since we started dating when we were 15/16, I have practically seen his sisters grow up, and I feel like I am truly their older sister. Tara was in 4th grade when we started dating and is now a freshman at ACU…man, does that make me feel old! I remember seeing them peak out their bedroom window at Anthony and I when he would walk me out to my car…they were always trying to see if we would kiss! I remember thinking I had to always be on my best behavior around them because they were watching and learning from us. Just because we all grow up and get older, that responsibility as an oldest sibling never really goes away. I know I still look up to my siblings and still watch them because I want to learn from them.
I find the whole birth order thing fascinating and think having siblings is such a great blessing in life. I'm very thankful for all of mine (in-laws included)!
3 comments:
I too am interested in "birth order" and how it often makes people have a certain roleand develop habits based on their order of birth.
I think being the youngest has alot of advantages and it is cool to see similarities between you and Derek since you are both the youngest.
I enjoyed being the oldest, though sometimes I wished I had had someone to pave the way for me in curfew time, dating, and all that other stuff. But, it was neat to be able to do things first and it is a responsibility because all those little eyes are watching you.
And I think that even as the oldest, you younger siblings and siblings-in-laws teach me things too.
I had no idea you came from such a big family. I love how you look so different from your brother and sisters. That story about you coming from Mexico is so funny!
I never did ask you about your friends moving to SA. We'll be there next month and know NO ONE, so any connection is a great one!!! Sorry I am just now asking about it...my mind has been going a million different directions lately!
My whole family had straight dark hair and dark eyes. I had curly blonde hair and blue eyes (my dad had blue eyes too, but I didn't notice that...). My brother pointed it out to me in a family picture along with the fact that he had more "Baby's First Christmas" ornaments than I did and told me it was because I was adopted. I believed it for a long time too! Glad to know I'm not the only one who fell for that....especially since I looked EXACTLY like my dad!
Post a Comment