Tuesday, November 24, 2009

thankful

Since it is two days before THANKSGIVING I think it is appropriate to take some time to blog about the things I am thankful for this year. I do love this holiday. I love the planning that goes into the meal, I love spending time with family, I love eating great food that you only get once a year, I love thinking about my life and the blessings I have. I love everything about this holiday; it's my favorite, actually.

Today, I turn 28 years old. 28--WOW!! I can honestly say that 10 years ago, I thought my life would look a little different by the time I reached this age. When I was 18, 28 sounded so old to me, but yet, here I am at 28 years and at times still feel like I'm 18 (and look it too). When I was 18 years old, my plan was to finish high school, go to ACU, get married, work for a year or two, then start having kids. I thought I would be on my 3rd kid by the time I turned 28! We would buy our big house and live in the suburbs of a city in Texas. This was my plan. There is nothing wrong with this plan, but I am thankful that God had a different plan for me. The first few steps to my plan worked out just the way I had hoped--graduated from high school, went off to ACU, and after 4 wonderful years in Abilene, I married my best friend.
**Side note: when I was 18, I was dating this great guy but I wasn't quite sure if he was going to be part of my long-time plan. Afterall, we were just two high school kids, both going off to college and we all know how much can change when that happens. Thankfully, God knew all along that this great guy was going to be part of my life plan, and as much as we have both changed since we were 18, we've changed together.

So, I marry my best friend. This is the part in my life when I finally realize that things don't always go according to MY plan. God is in control, and His plan is perfect. Husband and wife get married and one month later move to Chicago. I had never even been to this city until we drove into town with our moving truck. I was scared/excited/happy/sad/nervous/lonely/in love as we made the drive down our street, but the moment I walked into our apartment I had no doubt that we were where we needed to be. We did not know a single person, but I was excited about starting my life as a wife and looking forward to making new friends.

I cannot even begin to sum up all the experiences and life changes we went through during our years of living in Chicago but trust me, moving there was the best thing that could have happened to us, and I am so thankful we trusted God would take care of us. After 3 years of living in Chicago, it was time to move to Dallas.

As hard as moving to Chicago was for me, the move back to Texas was even harder. You are probably thinking. "but why? She is from Texas, has lots of friends in Dallas and will be so much closer to her family." Yes, all of these things are true, but for some reason it was harder. We spent the first year of living in Dallas constantly talking about Chicago, how much we missed it and when could we move back; we even went back to visit 3 times that first year! We definitely questioned our decision every day, but as time has gone on, life in Dallas is good and we like it here. Anthony has a great job that he is excelling at and our church home has been the biggest blessing--and for these things, I am very thankful. God is continuing to teach me and I'm reminded daily that my life is not my own. After all, His plan is perfect, mine is not.

So, today I am 28 years old. I don't have a big house in the suburbs and I'm definitely not on my 3rd kid. In fact, we live in a condo (that I happen to love) not far from downtown and don't have any kids. Even though my life isn't where I thought it would be when I was 18, I am thankful. I love my life and know that God's plan is perfect. Some days it is harder than others to remember this but it is true. So, this year I am thankful for my life and God's plan for it.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

1 comment:

Abbe said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! We are so thankful you guys made the hard move to Dallas!